Sometimes there are deliverability issues for the SMS text messages used in the SMS based Two-Factor authentication. This may be due to roaming phones or congestion in the phone network.
As an alternative to SMS Two-Factor Authentication you can use Time-based One-Time Passwords (TOTP) which rely on an application, the so called Authenticator App, to provide a code that changes every 30 seconds. There are several options for authenticator apps and here is a list of some of them:
- Google Authenticator for Android and iOS
- Twilio Authy for Android, iOS, and watchOS
As a ioGates Share receiver you can switch to the Authenticator App from the SMS Verification page. Here are the steps:
- Install an authenticator app on your device
- Open the Share Link
- When prompted for SMS Verification check the "Switch to Authenticator App" checkbox, enter the code received in the SMS text message and click "Verify"
- Now using the authenticator app scan the QR code. If you are doing this on a mobile device you need to copy the TOTP secret and enter this manually in the authenticator app.
- You can now set a name for the authentication profile. Note that the authentication is linked to your email address and will be used for all Two-Factor protected links sent to this email address.
- The authenticator app now displays a code that changes every 30 seconds. Enter this code on the "ioGates Two Factor Setup" page and click "Activate".
The new Two-Factor authentication is now set up for your email address and next time you open the link or receive a new link, you just need to open the authentication app and select the correct profile and type in the code you see in the app.
If you are a share owner you can also send out an authentication setup link to your contacts which allows the receivers to setup TOTP authentication without using the SMS text message. This also means that you do not need to know the receivers phone number.